This page contains spoilers from the light novel! Read at your own risk.
The following is a timeline of events in the world of 86 -Eighty Six-.
The world of 86 -Eighty Six- is an alternate reality of Earth. The series frequently references literature and events that happened in our timeline. Examples of such literature include The Bible and All Quiet on the Western Front. There have also been allusions to a certain crucified martyr which lived a few millennia a ago.
- 1 Calendars
- 2 RY 1 / SY 1782
- 3 RY 341 / SY 2122
- 4 RY 349 / SY 2130
- 5 RY 350 / SY 2131
- 6 RY 351 / SY 2132
- 7 RY 352 / SY 2133
- 8 RY 356 / SY 2137
- 9 RY 358 / SY 2139
- 10 RY 359 / SY 2140
- 11 RY 361 / SY 2142
- 12 RY 362 / SY 2143
- 13 RY 363 / SY 2144
- 14 RY 364 / SY 2145
- 15 RY 365 / 2146
- 16 RY 366 / 2147
- 17 RY 367 / SY 2148
- 18 RY 368 / SY 2149
- 19 RY 369 / SY 2150
- 20 Footnotes
- 21 References
There are at least two calendars used in the world of 86 -Eighty Six-.
The Stellar Year[† 1] is the international or global calendar, its start marks an unknown event.
The Anime solely uses the Stellar Year calendar. There may be minor alterations between the Light Novel and the Anime timelines. This timeline will be closely following the Anime timeline, as it is the most complete with exact dates.
RY 1 / SY 1782
- The Republic of San Magnolia was founded after the martyr Saint Magnolia instigated a revolution that overthrew the predecessor country's monarchy.
RY 341 / SY 2122
RY 349 / SY 2130
- Kujo Nico was born.
- 7th: Kaie Taniya was born.
RY 350 / SY 2131
- Daiya Irma was born.
RY 351 / SY 2132
- Dustin Jaeger was born.
- Erwin Marcel was born.
- Henrietta von Penrose was born.
- Viktor Idinarohk was born.
- 20th: Theoto Rikka was born.
- 19th: Shinei Nouzen was born.
- 12th: Vladilena Milizé was born.
- 25th: Raiden Shuga was born.
- 2nd: Anju Emma was born.
RY 352 / SY 2133
- 6th: Kurena Kukumila was born.
RY 356 / SY 2137
- Vika attempted to resurrect his mother, creating the Mariana Model AI as a result. He became treated as a monster and was stripped of his succession rights.
RY 358 / SY 2139
- Zelene Birkenbaum completed her development of the Legion. As she was dying, she opted to assimilate herself as a Shepherd into one of the first Ameise units to ever be produced.
- The Giadian Empire launched an all-out war against all of its neighboring countries—including the Republic of San Magnolia, the United Kingdom of Roa Gracia, and the Alliance of Wald—using the Legion.
- Within half a month of the start of the war, the Republic Army was mostly destroyed. The Republic evacuated its predominately Alba population into eighty-five administrative sectors. The Special Wartime Peace Preservation Act, Presidential Order #6609 was enacted to strip the Colorata of their rights under the pretense of them being Giadian spies.
- The Colorata were relocated outside of the Eighty-Five Sectors into the nonexistent Eighty-Sixth Sector. Now known as the Eighty-Six, they were forced to build a fortification around the Eighty-Five Sectors known as the Gran Mur.
- Over the next decade, the Eighty-Six would be continuously exploited by the Republic through forced labor, human experimentation, and forced conscription.
- 7th: Augusta Frederica Adel-Adler was born.
RY 359 / SY 2140
- Republic Military Industries developed the M1A4 Juggernaut as the Republic's answer to the Legion. They are publicized as superior to the Legion in every way, but are actually inferior, and require human pilots known as Processors. The Eighty-Six are conscripted into serving as Processors, with officers of the Republic Army overseeing them as Handlers.
- Not long after Shin turned eight, he received a message of his mother's death on the battlefield. Shin, who hadn't understood why she had died, pestered his brother—Shourei—to give him an answer. Rei snapped at Shin and strangled him to a near death state. Shin gained the scar around his neck and the ability to hear the voices of the dead. Rei soon left for the frontlines.
RY 361 / SY 2142
- 13th: Vaclav Milizé took his daughter, Vladilena Milizé, on a flight to the frontlines to show her how the Colorata were being mistreated by the Republic. The plane was spotted by the Legion and downed by anti-air batteries, resulting in Vaclav's death. Lena was rescued by Juggernaut Processor Shourei Nouzen, and was inspired to become a Handler.
RY 362 / SY 2143
- Shourei Nouzen was killed in action and assimilated into the Legion as a Shepherd.
- Start of Volume 10: Fragmental Neoteny.
- Fragmental Neoteny, Pledge: Shin was conscripted into the Eastern Front's Halberd Squadron under the command of Alice Araich, a female Jet Processor. Alice was the person that gave him the scarf which covered his scar. The entire squadron had been wiped out save for Shin, who began his promise to take his fallen comrades' tags to his final destination.
- Lerchenlied was crushed beneath rubble caused by Skorpion fire.
RY 363 / SY 2144
- The Giadian people overthrew the Giadian Empire and its royal family in a revolution to establish the Federal Republic of Giad, but lack the ability to deactivate the Legion. The Federacy was also unable to contact other countries, and began a bloody campaign to recapture its lost territory from the Legion alone.[† 2]
- Daiya and Anju were conscripted into the same squadron.
- Raiden and his fellow orphans were discovered by the authorities and taken away from their Alba caretaker. He was placed into a squadron with the others, of which only he would survive.
- Theo was conscripted.
- Kaie was conscripted.
- Haruto was conscripted.
- Vika created the first Sirin, Lerche.[† 3]
- Fragmental Neoteny, Brand:
- 17th: Shin had come across a Juggernaut from an unknown squadron. Despite not knowing the Processor, he extracted a dog tag from the unit just like he would any other. It was then that Shin officially took up the personal name of Undertaker, with his personal mark based on the unknown unit's mark. He would later learn that the Juggernaut had belonged to his dead brother, Rei.
RY 364 / SY 2145
- Kiriya Nouzen was killed in action and assimilated into the Legion as a Shepherd.
- Raiden joined Shin's squadron.
RY 365 / 2146
- Kurena and Theo joined Shin's squadron.
RY 366 / 2147
- Kaie and Haruto deployed in the same squadron.
RY 367 / SY 2148
- 1st: Twenty-four veteran name bearing Processors were gathered from all over the Eastern Front in order to form the Spearhead Squadron, led by Captain Shinei Nouzen and First Lieutenant Raiden Shuga. Once they finished taking their personnel photos, they intimidated the Alba officer into taking a group photo of the squadron.[† 4]
- 5th: The newly established Spearhead Squadron went on a cherry blossom view as part of their orientation.
- Mashu Nanaki and Mina Shiroka were killed in action.
- Start of Volume 1: Eighty-Six.
- Episode 1
- 12th: The Spearhead Squadron went about their routine after their previous Handler resigned.
- 13th: Major Vladilena Milizé accepted command of the Spearhead Squadron after being offered the position by Brigadier General Jérôme Karlstahl.
- Episode 2
- The Spearhead Squadron deployed on their first defense operation with Lena as their Handler; the battle was fought with no fatalities.
- Lena attempted to relay the true history of the Republic to a group of in-training officers.
- Episode 3
- Theo, Daiya, and Haruto peeked on the squadron's girls having a splash in a nearby stream.[† 6]
- Lena found a topographical map of the Eastern Front's First Ward.
- Lena and the squadron continued their nightly conversations, with Kaie and Raiden being the most active. Kurena threw a tantrum at the frequency of Shin talking to Lena.
- Lena tested the validity of her new map during a deployment. The map was confirmed to be accurate by Kurena.
- Kaie Taniya was killed in action after she got her Juggernaut stuck in soft terrain. She was decapitated and assimilated into the Legion as a Black Sheep.
- Theo unleashed his suppressed feelings at Lena. He regretted what he said after remembering his old Alba captain and realizing that he sullied the honor of Kaie.
- Episode 4
- 16th: Lena and the Spearhead Squadron made amends and introduced themselves to each other with their real names.
- Episode 5
- 24th: Annette talked to Lena about picking out a dress for the revolution festival.
- 30th: Lena learned of Shin's ability to hear the voices of the dead, as well as of the Black Sheep and Shepherds.
- Kariya Rohga and Ochi Anton were killed in action.
- Episode 6
- Daiya Irma was euthanized by Shin after being mortally wounded by a Self-Propelled Mine.
- Lecca Lin committed suicide in front of an Ameise so as to not be assimilated.
- Lena requested for reinforcements and the use of interception cannons in order to support Spearhead, both requests were rejected by Karlstahl.
- Karlstahl issued a mission to eliminate a developing Legion base to the Spearhead Squadron. The base was perceived to be a trap, but the Spearhead Squadron accepted the mission regardless.
- Episode 7
- 16th: Lena appealed to Karlstahl for reinforcements.
- Lena attended a revolution festival party along with Annette.
- The Spearhead Squadron was resupplied and received Lena's fireworks. They used the fireworks to hold a gun salute for their fallen comrades.
- The Spearhead Squadron deployed on the mission to destroy the Legion base. The Legion exhibited its first use of the Railgun Type Morpho on the Spearhead Squadron during this operation. The Spearhead Squadron immediately retreated at the shock of the fast artillery.
- Chise Authen, Louie Kino, Touma Sauvy, and Kuroto Hinie were killed in action by the rounds of the railgun.
- The Spearhead Squadron informed Lena of their inevitable demise as the First Ward's First Defensive Squadron.
- The Sixteenth Ward's Falx Squadron was annihilated by Shourei's Dinosauria.
- Episode 8: Lena Side
- 28th: Lena asked Annette for help saving the Spearhead Squadron from their fate. Annette passionately declined and recounted a story where she had betrayed a Colorata childhood friend—Shin—and continued her father's immoral research on the Eighty-Six to make a point of how powerless she was against the system put in place by the Republic.
- Episode 8: Shin Side
- Tohzan Sasha, Hariz Senya, and Io Dodanthe were killed in action.
- The Spearhead Squadron was sent the order to deploy on the Special Reconnaissance Mission. The mission was a poorly disguised order to purge the veteran Processors of the First Ward. The remaining members of Spearhead accepted their fates and began their preparation to advance.
- Lena argued with Karlstahl regarding the Republic's crimes and the Special Reconnaissance Mission. Lena failed to have Karlstahl rescind the order.
- 26th: Haruto Keats was killed in action only two days before the Special Reconnaissance mission. The squadron had been thinned to a mere five members from its original twenty-four.
- 27th: The Spearhead Squadron spent their last night in their base.
- Episode 9
- Lena managed to guilt Annette into helping her hack the systems controlling the Republic's interception cannons.
- The Spearhead Squadron commenced their Special Reconnaissance Mission thirty-two days after their encounter with the Morpho. The five Juggernauts fought a decisive battle against the Dinosauria manned by the vestiges of Shourei Nouzen. They were able to achieve victory with the help of Lena's artillery support. After the battle's end, the Spearhead Squadron would bid their farewell to Lena.
- Fragmental Neoteny, Lethe's Ridge:
- Episode 10 & Episode 11: Lena Side
- After three weeks of trekking eastward, the Spearhead Squadron found themselves unable to advance without taking a detour around a large lake. They decided to rest for a brief period to fish, do the laundry, and explore a nearby Giadian town. Shin found himself being called by an injured Black Sheep in the distance; he was stopped by Raiden when he wanted to check it out. As Fido had found a boiler, the squadron was able to bathe that night.
- Despite officially under house arrest after unauthorized use of the interception cannons, Lena spends her downtime tagging along with the other officers headed to the Spearhead Squadron's base. There she meets Lev Aldrecht and learns about his secret while reminiscing on the previous generation of Spearhead. She finds a note addressed to her in the common room of the base, where the five survivors each wrote a message for her, along with a group picture of the entire squadron.
- 14th: Shin decided to return to the sight where he heard the Black Sheep alone early in the morning. When the other's had caught up to him, he was preparing to euthanize the injured Löwe. The moment gave Spearhead Squadron time to introspect on their goals moving forward.
- End of Volume 1: Eighty-Six, sans Epilogue.
- Start of Volume 2: Run Through the Battlefront (Start).
- Episode 11: Shin Side
- 30th: The Spearhead Squadron continued to march onward to their final destination. Spearhead would find itself in a battle with the Legion, leaving only Shin's Undertaker able to move by the end of the engagement. They would leave behind Fido along with four of their inoperable Juggernauts at the border between San Magnolia and Giad. They spent the night at an abandoned Giadian school.
- Noticing an inevitable battle approaching, Shin took the reigns of the Undertaker and told the others to escape while he acted as a decoy. They didn't listen to Shin's request; as a result, all five of them were rendered unconscious.
- Using a backup unit, Rei saved the Spearhead Squadron from death and carried them to the Federal Republic of Giad, where they were given asylum by patrolling soldiers.
- The five survivors of Spearhead were taken care of in a quarantine facility on one of the Western Front's military bases.
- Episode 12
- After a month-long screening process, Shin & Co. were introduced into the Federacy's society. They arrived in the capital of Sankt Jeder, staying in the home of Ernst Zimmerman and Frederica Rosenfort. Spearhead would spend the next month seeing the sights of the city.
- Lena clocked in for another day at work after her demotion and house arrest; dealing with her new superior, leading her new squadron, and handling a group of Eighty-Six sympathizers which she uses to monitor the other fronts. Lena also asked Annette for modifications to her Para-RAID.
- Episode 13
- 18th: Shin met Eugene Rantz and his sister Nina at a library. Shin and Eugene would continue to meet at the library, becoming somewhat acquainted with each other.
- 24th: On the eve of the Holy Birth, the month of respite had come to a close for the survivors. They confirmed that their place was not on civilian grounds, but on the battlefield, and declared their intent to join the military. Ernst agrees on the condition they become officers.
RY 368 / SY 2149
- 7th: The survivors enrolled in a three-month-long officer basic training course. Shin went to the Special Officer Academy alongside Eugene and Erwin Marcel.
- Shin was shipped off to the 1028th Trial Unit after his basic training. As he had been utterly incompatible with the fighting style that the Federacy's M4A3 Vanagandr required, he was instead sent to test the newly developed XM2 Reginleif which had been reverse engineered from his Undertaker. The entire unit had been wiped out save for his company during a sortie, which eventually managed to turn the tides.
- A month later, the 177th Armored Division's Nordlicht Squadron was formed from the Eighty-Six survivors, the Vargus mercenaries, such as Brent Bernholdt, and an assortment of Federacy pilots. Half of the squadron was later annihilated, leaving Shin as the squadron's highest ranking officer.
- Eugene Rantz was euthanized by Shin during an operation.
- The Federacy reestablished contact with the United Kingdom and the Alliance.
- A large scale offensive was simultaneously held by the Legion against the Republic, Federacy, United Kingdom, and Alliance. The assault was swiftly intercepted on the Federacy front by the Nordlicht Squadron. Still, many lives were claimed, especially by the bombardments of the Railgun-Type Morpho which targeted the Federacy's Forward Operating Bases.
- The Gran Mur's northern section fell to the Morpho. The massive amounts of Legion stationed in the Northern Front invaded the Republic; they did not last more than a week before they were cornered into the First Sector.
- End of Volume 2: Run Through the Battlefront (Start).
- Start of Volume 3: Run Through the Battlefront (Finish).
- The Gran Mur's gates were blasted open using the interception cannons under the order of Vladilena Milizé. The then Captain requested all of the Eighty-Six Processors to reclaim the Eighty-Five Sectors via Para-RAID. The Eigthy-Six obliged, some squadrons rushed to defend the First Sector, while others maintained defensive strongholds around internment camps. The Republic would be locked in a brutal siege.
- 9th: The joint operation to eliminate the Morpho had commenced. The Nordlicht Squadron was the spearhead of the operation, with the Federacy, United Kingdom, and Alliance forces supporting them on their respective fronts. The XC-1 Nachzehrer was deployed to carry fifteen Nordlicht Processors along with Lieutenant Colonel Grethe Wenzel straight to the Morpho. The Morpho was successfully eliminated.
- Two months after forming their defensive line, the Republic of San Magnolia was rescued by the forces of the Federacy. As the truth of their oppressive regime came to light, the Republic was given the minimum amount of humanitarian aid for their survival, while the Eighty-Six made up the focus of the Federacy's care. Out of the millions of Colorata that lived in the Republic before the war, only ten thousand survived.
- End of Volume 1: Eighty-Six, Epilogue.
- The Eighty-Sixth Strike Package was organized from the Eighty-Six veterans and the Vargus of the Nordlicht Squadron. The Eighty-Six which volunteered began their training in officer academies.
- End of Volume 3: Run Through the Battlefront (Finish).
RY 369 / SY 2150
- Start of Volume 4: Under Pressure.
- The Eighty-Sixth Strike Package sent it's 1st Armored Division numbering 168 Processors on an operation to retake the Republic's northern capital of Charité. At the minimum, their goal was to destroy the Admiral operating inside the city's subway system.
- The mass-produced intelligent Legion known as Sheepdogs were discovered by the Strike Package.
- The new Legion types—Biene and Phönix—were discovered inside the Charité Underground Labyrinth by the Strike Package. The Phönix was defeated by Shin during the operation, though it managed to escape.
- Shin was told to come find the Merciless Queen
- The Strike Package completed the mission with approximately 100 Processors remaining.
- End of Volume 4: Under Pressure.
- Stellar Year (星歴, Seireki?) is pronounced the same way as Anno Domini (西暦, Seireki?). It is sometimes translated as Anno Astrum (A.R).
- Volume 2 states that the Federacy was established nine years ago. This meant that the Federacy had existed since the start of the war, and Kiriya's death four years before Volume 2 would indicate that the Empire was still active until at least SY 2146. This year only marks the fall of the Empire from the Republic's point of view, and when the Empire lost control of the Legion
- Possibly happened in SY 2143.
- The Light Novel states that the Spearhead Squadron was established in February instead of April.
- The Light Novel states that Kujo died 10 days before Lena synchronized with Shin (which would be May 12th), while Kujo dies on the day of in the Anime.
- This scene happened before their first battle with Lena on May 29th in the Light Novel. In the original scene, only Daiya was present.
- Volume 1 Afterword
- Volume 1 Chapter 2
- Volume 5 Chapter 1
- Volume 4 Epilogue
- Volume 7 Chapter 2
- Volume 1 Chapter 1
- Volume 1 Chapter 6
- Volume 1 Interlude 3
- Episode 4
- Volume 5 Chapter 4