"I am Legion, for we are many." ― Mark 5:9
The Legion (レギオン, Region?) is a collective, self-sustaining, AI army that comes from the remains of the Giadian Empire. The AI system was invented by the United Kingdom of Roa Gracia, while the mechanical bodies use technology derived from the Alliance of Wald. Using the neighboring countries' innovation, the old Empire produced the Legion as a perfect drone army before their downfall.
The Legion is capable of scanning and replicating a brain's state postmortem and incorporating it into their processing capabilities. The Legion required the assimilation of the deceased to replace their deteriorating central processors, which are set to expire after 50,000 hours or around six years of usage time.
The Legion was created by Major Zelene Birkenbaum using the Mariana Model AI developed by Viktor Idinarohk. The Legion was first deployed by the Empire in the RY 358, where they were used to invade neighboring countries.
The Legion eventually broke free from the Empire's control due to the revolution which would establish the Federal Republic of Giad. As no living member of the Empire was of the required rank to deactivate the Legion, the drone army waged an autonomous war against humanity, including their creators. The Legion managed to occupy large swaths of human territory within the nine years they had been active.
- Chapter 3
Through the information obtained by interrogating Zelene, who had by then been assimilated, the method to the Legion's deactivation was made clear. The method required a member of the Giadian Royal Family to transmit a shutdown code in an Imperial fortress deep within Legion territory. Only Vika and Shin are privy to this information, and only Shin knows that it is possible to do so through Frederica Rosenfort.
The Legion, typically, does not operate during nighttime. They fundamentally operate during the daytime to harness solar energy and generate electricity to maintain their vitality when their energy packs have been exhausted. Nighttime operations, when they are not able to recharge through solar energy, exposed them to the risk of running out of power mid-combat. As a result, the Legion generally avoid engagements during nighttime unless a high possibility to cripple the enemy is calculated.
The Legion is forbidden in its philosophy and programming to field certain types of weapons, as the Legion was intended for subjugation instead of extermination. Bioweapons and units that are indistinguishable from civilians are forbidden due to this philosophy. Combat aircraft and bombers are also forbidden due to the biases of Major Birkenbaum.
- White Sheep: The Legion which had not yet replaced their central processors.
- Black Sheep: The Legion that had adopted the decayed brain structure of dead humans, capable of limited human intelligence.
- Shepherd: The Legion that had adopted the un-decayed brain structure of living or recently dead humans, capable of full human intelligence and leadership.
- Sheepdog: Mass-produced intelligent Legion.
The Legion comes in various models specialized for different tasks.
- Ameise: Scout Type. Their main feature is their high mobility. Equipped with machine guns. One of the most common legion units on the battlefield.
Main Article: Ameise
- Grauwolf: Dragoon Type. Equipped with high-frequency blades and anti-tank rockets.
Main Article: Grauwolf
- Löwe: Tank Type. This unit is equipped with heavy armor and a 120 mm cannon turret.
Main Article: Löwe
- Dinosauria: Heavy Tank Type, weighing 100 tons. Strongest of the regular units. armed with a 155 mm cannon turret, a 75 mm secondary coaxial cannon, two 12.7 mm heavy machine guns mounted on the turret, and the capability of employing liquid micromachine "arms".
Main Article: Dinosauria
- Skorpion: Long-Range Gunner Type. A heavily-armed Legion that provides artillery support with a 155 mm howitzer or a multiple rocket system from far behind the battlefield.
Main Article: Skorpion
- Stier: Anti-Tank Artillery Type. As it possesses high-firepower at the cost of low-mobility and armor, its only viable deployment is in ambushes. The unit uses treads instead of legs as its method of propulsion.
- Self-Propelled Mine: Antipersonnel Type. This Legion unit “clings” to humans or human-made weapon systems before self-destructing. Its tactics are simple though often inefficient. It is roughly the same size as a human and can therefore be equipped with antipersonnel rifles.
Main Article: Self-Propelled Mine
- Stachelschwein: Antiair Type. Immediately after the war began, they were scattered throughout the combat zone, completely rendering aircraft unusable. They can also function as mobile CIWS units, as they're capable of shooting down the guided artillery shells fired by the Republic's interception cannons.
- Morpho: Railgun Type. Equipped with a railgun capable of long-range accurate bombardment of up to 400 km. It is also equipped with multi-barrel electromagnetic Vulcan cannons used as CIWS (Close-in-weapon-system) to defend against close range enemies and incoming missiles. The massive weight of 1,400 tons makes its movement troublesome, but the uses of old abandoned railroad tracks allows it to overcome this weakness.
Main Article: Morpho
- Noctiluca: Electromagnetic Gunboat Type. Serves a similar purpose to the Morpho in terms of long-range bombardment using railguns. As an aquatic vessel, the weight of the unit is not as detrimental to its movement.
Main Article: Noctiluca
- Phönix: High-Mobility Type. Capable of exceptional stealth and mobility, it specializes in high speed combat along with utilising its two chain blades. It also uses liquid armor and is proven to be capable of transforming parts of its armor into projectiles.
Main Article: Phönix
- Zentaur: Catapult Type. It is used to deploy Legion units such as the Phönix and Skorpion deep into enemy lines in a paratrooper-like fashion.
Main Article: Zentaur
- Biene: Fire Extension Type. These laser shooting Legion units were used by the Legion in their defense of the Charité Underground Labyrinth.
- Edelfalter: Generator Type. A palm-sized butterfly legion with solar powered panel wings. Used by the Morpho to recharge after firing the railgun.
- Eintagsfliege: Electronic Disruption Type. These mayfly-shaped tiny Legion units spread throughout the skies. They jam communications, making long distance communication impossible by absorbing, refracting and disrupting all electromagnetic waves. It has the shape and size of a butterfly with a body length of around 10cm and weighs about 2 grams. It is deployed in the battlefield as a vanguard to confuse enemy radars as well as flying into planes' air intakes to disable aircraft engines.
Main Article: Eintagsfliege
- Rabe: A huge bird shaped Legion with a 122 meter wingspan that flies at an altitude of 20,000m or roughly 65,000ft. It is the commander unit for the Eintagsfliege, and has the role of integrating and analyzing the communication between the legions.
Main Article: Rabe
- Admiral: Energy Production Type. They typically produce energy packs via solar energy with solar panel wings, but there have been some confirmed to use geothermal energy, or Nuclear fusion.
- Wiesel: Auto-Production Type. A massive Legion meant for the production of Legion vehicles.
- Tausendfüßler: Recovery Transport Type. A giant steel centipede which acts as the Legion's scavengers and neural assimilators.