The Federacy is a country that was created after downfall of the Giadian Empire and the country which gave the Spearhead Squadron asylum after their escape from the Republic. Its capital city is Sankt Jeder.
The national symbol of Giad is a two-headed eagle, which can be found on the nation's flag and coat of arms. "Glory to the two-headed eagle" is a common salute amongst the Federacy's military.
The flag itself has changed from black and red to green, with the two-headed eagle in the corner surrounded by eight golden stars. Although because the flag was raised on a federation base, it is likely the war flag.
The Federacy prefers coffee over tea as their hot beverage of choice.
As a former empire, the Federal Republic of Giad is ethnically and racially diverse. While the groups that dominated the region were the Rubela and the Aquila, other races were not prohibited from holding high positions in society, such as noble status. The Rantz Clan was an example of Alba nobility within the old empire. The nobility which sided with the Federacy during the revolution, while stripped of their taxation rights, still played a key role in the nation. The Onyx Clans still served as military leaders and nobles with large production companies were the backbone of the war effort. Minor nobles without much contribution to society were less fortunate, often ostracized by the commonfolk.
While the Federacy maintained the tolerance shown in its Imperial days, it was not perfect in its equality. The old warrior-class slaves of the Vargus were denied citizenship into the new nation, due to their stigma as untamed savages.
Giad's national language is what would be considered modern English (although it is unknown if they call the language by that name), much like the rest of the continent. Due to the diversity present in the nation, other languages and writing scripts are used along side the official language by certain minorities, such as a Japanese-like script seen in the borderlands of the old Imperial territories. While they speak the same language as San Magnolia, Roa Gracia, and Wald, there are dialectal differences between the nations.
After the Empire's declaration of war against its neighboring nations, a revolution against the Empire's government broke out. Defeating the Empire and deposing the royal family, the revolutionaries created a new republic that incorporated all the former states of the Empire. The new government was led by the revolutionary leader Ernst Zimmerman, who became interim president. Despite the victory, the newly founded Federacy was forced to continue facing the Legion due to the refusal of the Empire's military to surrender. The stubborn imperial defense resulted in no officer alive that was of high enough rank to call off the Legion assaults.
Since the end of the revolution, the Federacy has been slowly retaking the territory lost to the Legion, though at a terrible cost in lives and material. Up until the arrival of several soldiers of the Spearhead Squadron from the Republic of San Magnolia, the Federacy had had little contact with neighboring nations, though the destruction of the Empire had already been detected by at least the Republic. A later offensive would allow for communications to be opened with the United Kingdom of Roa Gracia and the Alliance of Wald.
Elimination of the Morpho
The Federacy's Western Front was its largest and most contested battlefield due to the wide, open terrain that forced the Federacy to face the Legion head on. In the other fronts, the Federacy held a defensive advantage due to the mountainous terrain that favored ambushes and chokepoints. The Western Front was dealt a large blow by the destruction of several forward operating bases (FOB) by the Legion's railgun unit called the Morpho. The loss of approximately twenty thousand soldiers severely weakened the Federacy and forced a combined all-out offensive to drive back the Legion and destroy the Morpho. Several hundred thousand lives were lost, over sixty percent of Federacy forces, but the Legion were also dealt enormous losses and forced to give up large amounts of territory.
Upon the success of the operation, the Federacy established contact with the Republic of San Magnolia. Appalled by the atrocities of the Republic against the Eighty-Six, the Federacy occupied the Republic and sheltered the surviving Eighty-Six. However, the willing Eighty-Six were recruited into the Eighty-Sixth Strike Package after Eighty-Six from the Nordlicht Squadron displayed exceptional performance as part of the 177th Armored Division and because of the major losses the Federacy suffered in the previous offensive. The Strike Package was assigned to clear out Legion remnants in the Republic's second capital of Charité before being sent north to the United Kingdom for a joint operation.
The Federacy's military does not enforce conscription; instead, there are a number of incentive programs in order to ensure they were constantly supplied with fresh personnel during the war with the Legion. One such program eased the entry-barrier of becoming a commissioned officer; instead of requiring a higher education, only the minimal secondary education was required along with a special training program. These officers would then be required to obtain higher education throughout their military career.
While the soldiers of the Federacy came from all walks of life, the upper echelons of the military are primarily comprised of former nobles.
List of Operations
- Joint operation with the United Kingdom and Republic in retaking the Republic's Northern and Western Sectors (Western Front)
- M4A3 Vánagandr:
Main Article: M4A3 Vánagandr
- XM2 Reginleif:
Main Article: XM2 Reginleif
- XC-1 Nachzehrer:
Main Article: XC-1 Nachzehrer
- C-5 Hræsvelgr:
Main Article: C-5 Hræsvelgr
Main Article: Vanadis
Main Article: Trauerschwan
Main Article: Úlfheðinn
Main Article: Para-RAID
Sankt Jeder is the capital city of the Federacy.
- Zimmerman Residence: The home of Ernst Zimmerman, occupied by himself, Frederica, Teresa, and the survivors of Spearhead.
- Imperial Capital Central Library: The library Shin and Eugene frequented.
- Republic Square: A plaza located in front of the Republic's embassy. The embassy itself is currently in disrepair.
- Special Officers Academy: The alma mater of Shin, Eugene, and Marcel.
The territories of the Vargus on the Federacy's Western Front.
- Sankt Glycine Base: The base the survivors of Spearhead were quarantined in.
- Rüstkammer Base: The headquarters of the Eighty-Sixth Strike Package.
- Processor Memorial: A glass encased gravesite on the old border between San Magnolia and Giad erected by the Federacy. There lay silently four Juggernauts and one Scavenger, along with 576 Juggernaut fragments with their Processor's names etched onto them.[† 1]
- Giad is heavily inspired by Germany in various stages of its history, the Empire being inspired by Germany's many empires (the Holy Roman Empire, German Empire, and to an extent the Austro-Hungarian Empire) while the Federal Republic was inspired by the Federal Republic of Germany. The two-headed eagle may be a reference to the Reichsadler, a prominent symbol of Germany and Austria-Hungary. The symbol is still used to this day by Germany under the name of the Bundesadler.
- Changed to 575 names in the anime, as Rei's tag was missing from the box and is currently with Shin.