Bureaucrats have the ability to change or assign user rights, as well as block and unblock users, so this right is generally used in addition to the administrator group.
They have the ability to promote and revoke rollback, Content Moderator, and administrator rights as well as appointing new bureaucrats. While they cannot directly remove another user's bureaucrat status, they can remove their own. Bureaucrats also have the ability to remove a user's bot status in case the bot is malfunctioning, but bot flag requests are handled by staff after being approved (by either a bureaucrat or the community).
Administrators (or "sysops") are trusted users who are generally chosen by the community and also have access to the following rights:
- All privileges from both the Content Moderator and Discussions Moderator groups.
- Block users from editing and other actions.
- Grant and revoke both the Content Moderator and Discussions Moderator rights.
- Edit the community's skin and format.
- Edit white-listed MediaWiki pages.